Thursday 11 July 2013

July 8

“In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust: let me never be put to confusion.” Psalms 71:1

A beautiful prayer by the psalmist, which echoes the expression of dependent trust in the Lord, as found in many of the psalms and other portions of scripture. When as believers we place our firm confidence in the Lord, we are safe and kept from the effects of the world and its iniquity. The word rendered ‘confusion’ here is rendered ‘ashamed’ elsewhere and impacts the follower of God in a special way. The only way we can be found in confusion, that is without clear direction, or lacking in balanced thinking and knowledge, is if we have violated God’s law and become tainted with sin. The same can be said of the word ashamed. For the Christian, shame comes when he trespasses against the God he claims to serve and forsakes the principles which he professes to uphold. This is the shame of poorly lived Christianity! It gives rise to much criticism and opportunity for contempt, from those who are yet unbelievers and want to see the evidence of God’s love, grace and holiness, in the lives of Christ’s followers. This then is the emphasis of this prayer and an apt invocation for all who believe, for though we may stand, we should always take care and humbly ask God’s assistance, lest we fall! The cry of this trusting heart seems to say: “Lord I place my hope and confidence in you, and mean to hold on in faith, walking in your grace and holiness, but help me Lord, because I am weak in myself, and cannot stand without you! Uphold me and don’t let me fall, because when I sin, I bring shame on myself, my profession of faith and most of all You Lord!” It is an expression of humility which does not allow for overconfidence in one’s own ability or strength! It is not unlike the statement we hear from the father of that tormented child, whom Jesus freed from an evil spirit. When challenged by the Lord to believe for his son’s deliverance, the man cried out and said with tears: “Lord I believe; help thou my unbelief’! There was an admission of faith, and yet a request for Jesus to make up, as it were, the lack on his part, should his faith not be strong enough to obtain the blessing! Let us fully trust the Lord, and be humble and willing to call for His everlasting arms to support us, in the daily toils of life, and to strengthen us in our faith towards Him, and in our stand against sin, that we be not ashamed, nor bring shame on His holy name! 

http://www.pentecostalfamilychurch.com.au/devotion

No comments:

Post a Comment